The urban biorefinery concept came up to promote the recovery of energy and value resources contained in urban waste to be used as a raw and secondary materials to create new value chains. This Workshop deals with the last innovative developments on the reuse and re-cycling of urban waste into high added-value products for a sustainable the society. Urban waste includes Municipal Solid Waste, Green Waste, Wastewater, and Sewage Sludge. The Workshop aims to be a contact point between Scientific, Academia, Industry, and Administration to share, discuss, and promote initiatives over the last developments in European cities within the European Green Deal over the base of the Horizon 2030. The Workshop is promoted in the framework of the European Project H2020.JTI.BBI DEEP PURPLE and shows last advances in a dedicated Session, and over the general subject through two consecutive Open Sessions where the most relevant novelties will be presented and discussed in a Round Table with relevant representatives from Academia, Industry and Administration. The intended audience includes junior and senior researchers and technologists aiming to enlarge their knowledge on Urban Biorefineries.
08:40 Introduction (Daniel Puyol, URJC)
08:55 Presentation of the Deep Purple Project (Victor Monsalvo, Aqualia)
9:40 Advances from Deep Purple Project
- 9:40 – 10:00. Development of purple bacteria-based wastewater treatment technology (Daniel Puyol, URJC and Patricia Zamora, AQUALIA)
- 10:00 – 10:15. Research line on organic fertilizers production (Elise Rethore, Agro Innovation)
- 10:15 – 10:30. Research line on ectoine production (Raul Muñoz, University of Valladolid)
- 10:30 – 10:45. Research line on construction materials production (Mizi Fan, Brunel University)
- 10:45 – 11:00. Research line on biopolymers production (Daniele Turati, Novamont)
11:00 Coffee Break
11:40 Invited Keynote Speaker
Ana Soares, Cranfield University
12:10 Open Session I: Novel Processes and Technologies in Urban Biorefineries
12:10 – 12:35. Invited speaker: Joan Garcia. Polytechnic University of Catalonia
- 12:35 – 12:45. Impact of Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) degradation products on Mixed Purple Phototrophic Bacteria (PPB) metabolism. Miguel Palhas, D. Puyol, J. Fradinho and M.A.M Reis
- 12:45 – 12:55. Assessing the potential of purple bacteria culture for resource recovery from the vegetal beverage industry by-products. Laura Foix, P.M. Binder, A. Pabón, S. Ponsá
- 12:55 – 13:05. Granular biofilm growth of purple phototrophic bacteria. Sam J. Stegman, T. Hülsen, P. D. Jensen, D. J. Batstone
- 13:05 – 13:15. Alginate Biopolymer Stabilized Pickering Emulsion Liquid Membrane for Methylene Blue Extraction from Aqueous Solution. K. Bidkar, M. Jerold
- 13:15 – 13:25. Platform I.4
13:15 Lunch Break
14:20 Open Session II: Sustainability, Marketability and Industrialization of Urban Biorefineries
14:20 – 14:45. Invited speaker: Martín Santos. REPSOL S.A.
- 14:45 – 14:55. Shaping a Greener Future for Biopolymers: Environmental Footprint of Polyhydroxyalkanoates Production by Purple Phototrophic Bacteria Mixed Cultures. Mario Martín-Gamboa, L. D. Allegue, D. Puyol, J. A. Melero and J. Dufour
- 14:55 – 15:05. Advanced demand & response: application of power forecasting to a real-scale plant for costs optimization. Marco Vian, M. Di Iorio, F. Polesel, M. Flauto, M. Muzzatti, D. Villa and G. Andreottola
- 15:05 – 15:15. Carboxylate platform based on chain elongation - evaluation of the feedstock composition and process configuration on production efficiency. F. Brodowski, R. Zagrodnik, N. Gutowska, A. Duber, H. Prusak, M. Szczygielda, M. Lezyk, Piotr Oleskowicz-Popiel
- 15:15 – 15:25. Integrated Resource Recovery from Aerobic Granular Sludge Plants. Nouran T. Bahgat, P. Wilfert, L. Korving, M.C.M. van Loosdrecht.
15:25 Round Table: Opportunities and Challenges for creating new value chains in urban biorefineries
Moderators: Daniel Puyol and Victor Monsalvo
- Martín Santos. REPSOL S.A.
- Lucia Gusmaroli, Catalan Water Partnership
- Joan García. Polytechnic University of Catalonia
- Javier Mena, Clamber biorefinery
- Nouran Bahgat, Wetsus, European centre of excellence for sustainable water